Academic Advising

Declaring a Major or Minor

©Alison Ralph. MSC Students. Menno Simons College.

When should I declare a major?

You are encouraged to declare a 3-year or 4-year major when you have completed between 30 and 60 credit hours of study. The sooner you decide on and declare your major, the more likely you will be able to fulfill your requirements in a timely way. It also gives you time to think about adding a second major or a minor without having to take more credit hours than your degree requires. If you change your mind, you can always change your major at a later date.


How do I declare a major?

To declare a 3-year or 4-year major in Conflict Resolution Studies or International Development Studies, you need to complete an online Major Declaration Form and forward it to the MSC Academic Advisor. The Academic Advisor will sign the form and submit it to Student Central. 

If you are declaring a double major, you will need to indicate both majors on the form and send it to the appropriate departments (if a signature is required).

NOTE: Please follow the instructions for How to Declare a Major Online


Do I need to declare a minor?

Students completing a 3-year or 4-year Bachelor of Arts degree are eligible for a minor. If you plan to complete a minor in Conflict Resolution Studies or International Development Studies, you are encouraged to meet with the MSC Academic Advisor to ensure you are completing the appropriate courses.

When you apply for graduation online, you will also need to fill out and submit a Minor Declaration Form. The University of Winnipeg Convocation Officer will review your transcript to ensure you have completed the correct requirements for a minor and it will then be added to your student record.


What about a flexible major or a combined major?

For information on a flexible major or combined major and how to declare one, please contact Academic & Career Services at or 204.786.9257.


Can I take International Development Studies or Conflict Resolution Studies and do an Education degree?

Yes, if you take the Education after-degree program. This means that you complete a 3-year Bachelor of Arts and then apply for two additional years of Education. You can take International Development Studies or Conflict Resolution Studies as a part of your 3-year BA, but you also need to take at least one teachable subject. Please contact the University of Winnipeg's Department of Education for more information.


Why should I take a double major?

International Development Studies and Conflict Resolution Studies are interdisciplinary programs that relate to a variety of subject areas. Having different points of view about issues, particularly those relevant to IDS and CRS, will make your classes more interesting and help you engage with course material more meaningfully.

A double major also makes you more marketable when you look for work after graduation. In addition, a double major may be important when applying for graduate programs; few universities offer interdisciplinary graduate programs and you may have to pursue a Master's degree in a traditional, discipline-based department.

If you are taking a double major, you must meet the full requirements for both majors. For details, please view the relevant Areas of Study in the online Academic Calendar

Printed from: